Could Canmore be more bike friendly?
Ribbons of trail draped on mountainsides descending into the community below. A welcoming network of pathways connecting through neighborhoods and into the heart of town. Picturesque patios decorating the bustling Main Street. Amenities like bike maintenance stands, bicycle corrals, bike parking shelters, and the list goes on. Become a recognized 2016 Bike Friendly Business making Canmore even more bike friendly you could even receive an incentive up to $2,500.
Why become a Bike Friendly Business?
BIKES ARE GOOD FOR BUSINESS
It’s not uncommon to hear stats about the positive economic impact of people with bikes like; $8.7 million spent annually in Fruita; and $11.5 million in spending associated with Crankworks Whistler. Do studies and stats matter to business?
- Studies consistently show that people on bikes shop more often and overall spend more than motorists.
- It is shown that people on bikes are more likely than drivers to notice and visit businesses because they travel at a more human-scale speed.
- In the U.S. the number of people who travel to work by bike has grown by 60% over the last decade, making it the largest percentage increase of all commuting modes.
- It is projected that worldwide 47.6 million electric bikes will be sold in 2018.
- Incentivizing staff and customers to bike instead of drive opens up parking for those who need it most, such as customers traveling from far away and people unable to ride a bike.
- More bikes means more people, bringing vibrancy to the neighborhood by helping make the street a place to be, not just a place to move through.
- With over 100,000 counts annually on the Legacy Trail, 50,000 counts annually on the Nordic Centre’s “FYI” trail and about 320,000 counts annually from people using the pedestrian/cyclist CPR crossing into the Town Centre there’s no doubt that bikes mean business!
INCENTIVES FOR BIKE FRIENDLY BUSINESSES
If you want to make your business better with innovative bike solutions, the Bike Friendly Infrastructure Incentive Program can subsidize your build up to $2,500!
The program is designed to help you install amazing new infrastructure on your property! When we say amazing new infrastructure, we’re looking for things like:
- Bike Storage that provides a welcoming and reassuring place to secure bikes (racks/shelters/lockers)
- Maintenance Stands for customers and staff to repair those inconvenient flats, or maybe even include a Wash Station for customers, guests, or staff.
If you’ve got other solutions that showcase your bike-centric genius that we haven’t thought of, please share as they may be considered for the
Funding is first come, first serve. Get your application in early for $2,500 towards your bike-centric build!
Visit bikecanmore.ca to get started.
Learn more about becoming a Bike Friendly Business and apply here.
Learn more about the Bike Friendly Infrastructure Incentive Program and apply here.
GET SOCIAL WITH BIKE CANMORE